News Foreign policy Ministry Travel to Poland
POLISH PRESIDENCY OF THE VISEGRAD GROUP 2016 - 2017
Polish Presidency of the Visegrad Group
(July 2016 - June 2017)
The fifth Polish Presidency of the Visegrad (V4) Group begins in a particular moment. Over the last 25 years, the V4 countries developed a close cooperation based on common values and interests. The V4 has become a well-known brand - a symbol of a successful initiative for pursuing joint interests and a central element of cooperation in Central Europe.
Europe faces difficult challenges and problems. Migration crisis and related challenges for the future of the Schengen area, instability and conflicts in our Eastern and Southern neighborhood, the questions around the United Kingdom’s EU membership, economic slowdown and macroeconomic disparities undermining EU’s competitiveness or deficiencies in the development of transport, digital and energy infrastructure are regarded as the most important challenges. There is also a risk of a resurging political and economic fragmentation of our continent that could disrupt the European integration project.
Together will all Central European Partners, V4 countries must strive for tackling these challenges. The Visegrad Group can effectively represent sensitivities of EU Member States from Central Europe as actively involved in the debate on the shape of the European integration. We have proved many times that the V4 countries are reliable partners when it comes to tackling common challenges.
Priorities of the Polish Presidency include the following:
1. STRONG VOICE OF THE V4 IN THE EUROPEAN UNION: coordination of the European agenda and cooperation on key challenges.
2. CREATING SYNERGIES THROUGH EXTENDED DIALOGUE: developing regional cooperation on the basis of institutional and functional synergies.
3. SECURITY AND STABILITY OF THE REGION: strengthening cooperation in the field of common security.
4. V4 IDENTITY AND VISIBILITY: building unity on the basis of common heritage and values, social aspect of cooperation, as well as effective communication strategies.
5. COHESION AND CONNECTIVITY: strengthening cohesion and developing cooperation of the V4 by improving transport connections.